Monday, June 6, 2011

Control

Sorry for the lack of post. I had ever intention of writing last week, but I have learned that if I am out of town, blogging just isn't going to happen. But, I am back in the swing of things and will continue to write to you until our next trip out of town!!!

I read another chapter out of Plan A Mom in a Plan B World. This chapter was called "Being overly controlling or Trusting God with my child." I have to say that I didn't think I would take too many notes. And I also didn't think I would relate much. Boy was I wrong. I want to share with you a few things that stuck out to me.

The story of the Bible in this chapter is about Sarai not being able to bear a child and taking matters into her own hands. You can read Genesis 16 to get the whole story, but basically Sarai took control and didn't trust God's plan and things didn't turn out so great.

There were 8 dangers of being controlling in this chapter and two of them really stuck out to me.

1. Not trusting God - I am smart enough to know that God has my best interest in mind. There is no doubt about that. I want to trust God with everything and I try my hardest, but I have to say that sometimes I just want to do it my way because it seems like it will be the easier way. Instead what I need to be doing is trusting God to lead me in the direction that He wants me to go and trust that He will get me through any situation He puts me in.

2. Fear - I am scared that if I do something any other way than the way that is worked out in my head it will be a disaster! Or a different way will be harder, less efficient and have a completely different result than what I want...even if it is a better result.

I feel that many times in my life I control situation for my fear of the unknown. To know there is a plan, execute that plan, and see the results is very comforting to me. When there is an unexpected Plan B I go into "make things happen" mode (characteristics of a controller) and try to control the situation instead of letting it happen, and making the most of the situation.

Dear God, Please help me let go of my controlling behaviors. Let me trust you even with the smallest things. If dinner is running 30 minutes late, let me see the good in it, trust that my kids will not have complete meltdowns and all will be okay. Please HELP ME to give everything to you and to NOT lean on my own understanding, but to lean on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment