Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Guilt

Chapter 2 in Plan A Mom in a Plan B World is calling "Languishing in Guilt or Rejoicing in Grace." My favorite part of this chapter was where it talked about false guilt. False guilt is basically talking about guilt that you should not own. This book says it is guilt about not living up to our own or someone else expectations.

It is kind of like this: I had a friend send me a text message when she was really struggling with all that life was throwing at her. And I mean life was throwing a LOT of things at her. Her 3 yer old daughter had just had surgery, her almost 2 year old daughter got a stomach bug, her husband deployed, her 3 year old daughter got the stomach bug from sister (while trying to recover from surgery), and to top that off the 3 year old got the rota virus and was hospitalized again. Oh yeah, and she works full time for the Navy. How about all that in a 2 week time frame. Anyways, the text message said that her parents were coming to get the kids from her so she could rest and concentrate on work. I told her I thought that was a great idea. Her next sentence made me so sad. It said, "Why do I feel so guilty?"

My reply back to my friend was this: You feel so guilty because people in today's society have mad it seem that if you can do it ALL and do it happily then you are a failure. But the truth is, YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. I told her that she has done more in the last few weeks by herself than I could do with the help of my husband and my mom.

What she had was false guilt. I have some false guilt that I am working through right now. And can I just tell you that satan LOVES false guilt. I hear him working in me, stirring that guilt, trying to make me believe it. It is hard thing to get rid of.

1John 1:9 tells us, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Let go of your false guilt, give your real guilt to God through confession and live life the way God wants you to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment