Friday, March 11, 2011

THE LAW

“But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, ‘Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.’ So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, ‘It is through FAITH that a righteous person has life.’ This way of FAITH is very different from the way of law which says, ‘It is through obeying the law that a person has life.’ But Christ has rescued us from the curse pronounced by the law. When he was hung on the cross, he took upon himself the curse for our wrongdoing. For it is written in the Scriptures, ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.” Galatians 3:10-13


Some of the things that I talk about come from sermons that I hear at church. Alan and I found a fantastic church and a pastor that really speaks our language. It seems that what he preaches on really relates to our lives. I know it is God speaking to us through him, but it is incredible the way that it pertains to us.


That being said, we had a series called Flip This Life. Our preacher talked about the Israelites leaving Egypt and going to the Promise Land. I could go on and on about the whole series, but I want to talk about the Ten Commandments and how they pertain our lives.


What do you think of when you think of the when think of the 10 Commandments? I have always thought of them as rules that I have to follow because that is what the Bible says to do. I thought it was something that I had to do to make God happy. What I learned through this series at church is that I don’t have to follow the law to make God happy. Now, that doesn’t mean that I can just break each of the ten commandments. I have changed my way of thinking. Instead of “following the rules” to make God happy, I am passionate about living through and for Christ, so I OBEY His law.


Now, to relate this to my life and my kids. If you have been around me and my kids any you know that I make them behave. That is just the way it is. I mean we have fun, they get to act like kids, but when mommy or daddy says that is enough and we need to use our manners, then it is time to straighten up and use your manners. No ifs, ands or buts. I am trying so hard to make both of the kids understand that they don’t have to behave and do the right thing because mommy or daddy says so. That there is a reason behind it and they need to have FAITH in us. My husband and I both are trying teach them (just as I think God is trying to teach us) that a simple faith in mommy and daddy will go a long ways. I would rather my girls TRUST me than obey my every command.


I think God wants the same thing from me that I want from my kiddos. Trust & FAITH.



No comments:

Post a Comment